Friday, July 17, 2009

went to Boise

Boise, Idaho, pronounced boy-see not boyzee. Population 200,000. Two hundred miles away from Lostine. A convenient airport.
I had to drop Luke off at the airport so he could fly to a conference after a weekend (plus) of festivities with me. We had a fun time driving out. We visited an Oregon Trail tourist trap on the way too, and saw how tiny their wagons were. On the road he (city boy) commented on things like cows and fields. I (identifying myself at least temporarily as country girl) commented on novelties such as "street lights!" and "multiple lane highways!"
Also, I drove 75 mph legally in Idaho. That is noteworthy, if not fuel-efficient.
In Boise I also parked in a parking garage for the first time in forever, which is an exciting city experience, but only paid $2.50 for it, which is a different kind of exciting. In this mental arena of urban/vs/rural experience, my mind was blowing all kinds of gaskets, as I used to consider my college town of Binghamton, NY to be a tiny podunkville nothing (area population 250,000), but yet arriving in Boise I was overwhelmed by the urbanness of it all.

POINTS FOR BOISE:
bicycle-friendly, in fact, bike-infested
many attractive young men, some on bikes
foodie food available (can I say mint-arugula-mushroom pizza??)
walkable fun downtown area with live music, hippies drumming, and a sprinkler for kids
good locally brewed beer

POINTS AGAINST:
100 degrees
six lanes of traffic going a single direction

eh, that's all I can think of for now. I'm glad I went!

1 comment:

  1. Lived in Boise from '83-'85. Was a radio dj there. Only 100,000 people then. In fact, I haven't been back since we moved. I liked it though. Fondest memory is floating the river on inner tubes!

    ReplyDelete