Monday, September 28, 2009

Seasons

A quote from Henry David Thoreau:
"My profession is to be always on the alert to find God in nature, to know [God's] lurking places, to attend all the oratorios, the operas, in nature." I thank Wallowa County for the gift of many convenient halls from which to experience these wonderful masterpieces of Godly art.
There are so many these days...
the perfect (fibonacci-numbered) heads of sunflowers drying by my door
the apple tree, exuberantly hurling down new apples each day into our waiting buckets, bags, hands
the cold, frosty, starlit nights and the 80 degree afternoons

I went for a long evening walk (wishing for once that my cat were a dog who'd accompany me) and received the priceless performance of nature... hawks wheeling around above me, cattle looking up from their grazing to stare deeply at me, irrigation ditches running fast with water, the last rays of sunlight and the very first few yellow falling leaves.

My father, on his visit, pronounced the landscape "unreal" and on an "inhuman scale." Wallowa has higher mountains, colder lakes, taller trees, larger rocks, and greater fields of wildflowers than we ever typically experienced back East. This is no park. These things were not placed here for our enjoyment (much less our use) -- they are God's spontaneous and abundant creativity.
I thank God for the privilege of living here and being witness to all these oratorios and operas.

No comments:

Post a Comment