Monday, October 5, 2009

Vocabulary

I listened to part of a brimstoney and prooftexty sermon on the radio yesterday, and I'm going to contain my theological comments and instead give some comments on simple method. Radio preachers are not the only transgressors of the rule: Speak So People Get You. Practice the gift of verbal hospitality.

With that said here is a list of vocabulary words that should not be used lightly, for the main purpose that they don't mean anything to people who don't speak StainedGlass. I do not say that you should not use them at all, but that they must be defined and used carefully. Consider how many word-studies a typical listener can grasp in twenty minutes, and choose accordingly.

STAINED GLASS NONSENSE WORDS:
Propitiation
Tribulation
Sanctification
Manifestation

Propensity
Sacrament
Epistemology
Atonement

Omnipotent
Righteous
Consubstantiation
Sin



(if you are really talking to non-churched non-Christians I would even advise using "faith," "grace," "salvation" with a higher level of caution.)

Annnnd all this to say:
I'm ready for a new facebook religious identity.
I am ready for my profile section to say "I preach the Gospel."
errrrrrk. tire squeel. Stained Glass alert.

"preach" -- meaning something other than "pompously beat unsuspecting people over the head with a bible." other than "moralize" and "pontificate" and "harangue."
"gospel" -- meaning something other than "get out of hell free card" or "pie in the sky by and by"

I preach the Gospel?

"preach"...
proclaim, declare, make noise about, teach
advocate, urge, expound, recommend,
display, live out, commit to, exemplify.

"gospel" ...
good news
victory report
revolution

I declare the good news? I expound on God's victory report? I show forth Christ's revolution?

Well, folks, I may not know how to tell you this, but I do preach the gospel -- even to people who don't know what those words necessarily mean.
Suggestions gladly accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment